Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency Program
Since 2001 Optum Physical Therapy is proud to offer an APTA credentialed Orthopedic Residency. Professionalism, quality healthcare, contribution to the community, competence with evidence based practice and attainment of national certification standards are values that illustrate how we make a difference in the lives of the people we encounter.
Our Mission is to provide advanced clinical practice of physical therapists that accelerates professional development in orthopedic and clinical reasoning in becoming a:
- Highly skilled patient care provider
- Resource, educator and mentor to others in the community that they serve
- Competent consumer and contributor to the scientific literature
- APTA Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy
Begins in January of each year and runs for 50 consecutive weeks. Three residents are accepted to the program each year.
- Clinic is located in Torrance
- 1:1 Mentoring with Clinical Faculty -4 hours per week, rotating with three Clinical Faculty during the year. Clinical faculty members are all Board-Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialists
- Residents have the opportunity to see more than 500 new patients of varied orthopedic diagnoses and assist in mentoring of first year PT students.
- Clinical lab skills and lectures are held on 8 seminar weekends in a group setting and 10 Monday mornings fulfilling the didactic portion of the Residency.
The Resident is employed by Optum and is paid for the hours worked
The Resident’s benefit package from Optum includes medical, dental and paid time off.
Residency Application Process
To begin your application for the HealthCare Partners, Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Residency you can directly access Residency/Fellowship Physical Therapist Centralized Application Services using the following link: RFPTCAS
Our Program Outcomes
100% Resident graduation rate since 2011 (92% overall)
100% OCS exam pass rate since 2011 (94% overall)
For more information, please contact: